08 January 2013

Raising Ladybirds - Larvae to Adult

Last May I found some ladybird eggs and posted about the development from egg to the first larval stage (see here), but as life overtook me I didn't get around to posting an update. This is that update.
The last time we saw the larvae, they were around this size. But soon they were ready to grow and this is how I learned about the stages of development called instar. Each instar stage shows differences in body size and colours. Depending on the type of ladybird, some instar stages increase the size of the 'spikes' on their back, which I assume is for protection.

This is an example of what is left each time the ladybird larvae molts and goes on to its next instar stage. There are four instar stages before adulthood. Here's a handy guide from Ladybird Survey to help ID ladybird larva.








I was a bit sneaky and added a larva that I found on our Willow. It was interesting to see them develop and the amount of aphids that they ate.
The aphids didn't seem to make any effort to avoid the larva. as seen in the photo above.

This is the pupa stage of the ladybird lifecycle, which occurs after the four instar stages. After this the adult emerges.
It was amazing to see the adults emerge. The colouration seemed to need time to develop, but didn't take very long. The ladybird above is a harlequin ladybird and while there are those that talk of a Harlequin Invasion it's important to take a step back and realise that this is natural selection in action.

Pine Ladybird
I really enjoyed raising the ladybirds, it was a surprise project and one I was happy to take on. Every day for around two months I went out to our hedge to snip of a branch covered in aphids to provide a continuous supply to the ladybird larva and was amazed at the size difference between instar stages. In the end I raised three ladybirds to adulthood before placing them on the hedge to fend for themselves.

One final note: During 2012, I saw many harlequins - but also many native ladybirds, so while it may be upsetting that perhaps our native ladybirds may potentially die out overtime due to competition with Harlequins and by being consumed by the harlequins it is something that has happened many times before and will happen many times again. The best thing to do is to appreciate our native ladybirds in the here and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy reading and replying to your comments, but please do not use this space for advertising!