23 February 2015

Book Review: Principles of Horticulture by Adams, Bamfords & Early

This book covers everything you need to know to get started as a horticulturist and is aligned with the current syllabus of the RHS certificate of Horticulture.

Topics from Climate to ecology and from plant growth to pests and diseases are covered.

The book certainly does what it says on the cover and provides information on the principles of horticulture with a reasonable amount of detail. However, I found it to be a very dry book and it took me a long time to get through it. Although, saying that, I did learn lots of new things and I'm glad that I persevered with it.

I think that this is probably more a reference book than one that can easily be read cover to cover. It does provide information in an easy to understand way via text, tables, and illustrations. There are plenty of book references at the end of each chapter; which provide a way to learn more about each subject covered. I can see why it's made it to 5 editions so far and see no reason why it won't continue to be expanded and improved in future.

If you want to learn more about the fundamentals of horticulture, then this book is definitely worth your time.

2 comments:

  1. It does sound like a good reference book. I like having some of those around for when questions arise. I don't have this one, although I've heard others appreciate it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely good for reference :)
      I'm hoping to read a similar horticulture book in a few months and then I'll know if this was a dry book or if all hort text books are written this way! It definitely taught me some new things and I know that if a question arises, it'll have an answer I can understand.

      Delete

I really enjoy reading and replying to your comments, but please do not use this space for advertising!