13 June 2016

Photography: Topaz Glow

I've really been enjoying messing about with photography this year. In March, I wrote about my first attempts at focus stacking, which I use a lot for the tree flower posts.

I recently came across another piece of software call Topaz Glow. Basically, it's a piece of software that can add effects to photographs you've taken. I imagine, it's not for everyone - and certainly not for every photograph (I've tried quite a few). But, I find it to be a fun tool to use when there's a single subject.

As you can see in the screenshot below, the poppy can be slightly altered - or it can be highly stylised and sometimes unrecognisable.

Here are a couple of photographs that I tried and got results I was happy with:

Plane tree inflorescence. This is the original, followed by a collage of 4 different effects. My personal favourite is the bottom right.



Green shield bug. The original followed by the effect I really liked.


This application is simple to use, while you can change plenty of setting for each effect, such as brightness, sharpness, contrast, strength, etc, I've found little need to. When the effect works for an image, I like it to be bold and vibrant - this isn't a tool I'd use for making subtle changes!

It's not a tool I'd use too frequently, but I can see myself doing sets of photos with these effects just because it's interesting.

Have you used software like this or can recommend any similar tools? It would be great to hear from you in the comments.

4 comments:

  1. These are great, Tim! I'm enjoying experiments with "Effects" in Pixelmator, but I haven't done a lot yet, so I can't say if it offers as much (not a lot of time right now). But I agree with you -- for some photos major alteration can be very effective, and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The people that come up with these applications are so clever and creative. I'll look forward to seeing more of your photo edits :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are rather stunning! You could make some great posters and greetings cards out of those.
    The effect is a little like the "glowing edges" filter in PhotoShop, but I do like what you have done with your software.
    Great shield bug, too - reminds me a bit of "Paladin Charge" by Roger Dean :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That was a really nice comment to read :)
      I'd not heard of "Paladin Charge", but I looked it up and I see what you mean!

      Delete

I really enjoy reading and replying to your comments, but please do not use this space for advertising!