22 November 2012

The RHS, Wisley and Orchids

We took some time out on our way home from a weekend with some of Lucy's family by popping in to Wisley.

Firstly, we didn't get chance to see the shop last time because it was Easter Sunday, but we did this time - TWICE! It was awesome, so many books that the hoarder in me wanted to buy just to have them on my bookcase!

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, Wisley told me some really cool facts about Orchids.  For a start there over 25,000 species of orchids, it may not be surprising then that there are some orchids that grow as far North as Norway (although it was to me!). Around ,000 hybrids are added to the current total of 110,000 hybrid each year. The RHS seems to be very involved with orchids and manages the Register of Orchid Hybrids and releases information about the new orchids each year in The Orchid Review.

The fact that perhaps most surprised me was that vanilla extract comes from the seed pods of an orchid. A quick look online told me that the extract is from orchids of the genus Vanilla (who knew!?) and mainly from the Mexican species, flat-leaved vanilla.

Anyway enough of the facts, let's have a look at some of the orchid displays at Wisley.


2 comments:

I really enjoy reading and replying to your comments, but please do not use this space for advertising!