01 August 2017

Book Review: The Cabaret of Plants by Richard Mabey

When I first saw this book, I thought it was going to be the average book where the author picks a bunch of plants assigns 20 pages to each regardless of whether there are 20 pages worth of interest. But then I started reading the book and remembered why Richard Mabey is held in such high esteem. He's not an average author, so I shouldn't have expected an average book.

The book is split into 7 sections, each with chapters that speak about either individual species, individual plants, or ideas that were inspired by plants. The sections and chapters are uneven in length according to what the author wanted to say. Excellently, the book isn't just a grouping of facts, but as Mabey has built up a lifetime of experience around plants, there is an autobiographical element to the book that is cleverly weaved into the fabric of the plants.

From the Fortingal Yew to cultivation, from Newton's Apple to the Fern Craze; this book inspires the reader to not only find out more, but to get out and be amongst plants. On the television programme 'Parks and Recreation' the character Ron Swanson says "I also think it's pointless for a human to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it". I don't totally agree because there are times when I've been stuck inside ill for periods of time and artwork - whether written (like this book), drawn, or painted - have been a lifeline. But, I agree with the sentiment. I personally felt that this book was telling me the same thing. I could read about plants as much as I like, but the people - botanists, explorers, artists - described in this book were out in nature.

I've felt the pull of the outdoors more than ever in the past few months and have found places close enough to the car to be accessible. This book and my 9 month old child are both partly responsible to encouraging this return to the wild!

I had to speed read the last 50 pages as it's reserved at the library. I would have liked to spend more time with this book as there's so much in it. I hope the next reader enjoys it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy reading and replying to your comments, but please do not use this space for advertising!