25 June 2013

Horse Leech - Haemopis sanguisuga

Date Photographed: 25/05/2013
Location: Tower Road, Melksham
Resources: http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/horse-leech
Notes: I originally thought that this was an immature green worm. But it was noticed on Wild About Britain that there seemed to be a sucker at the end (top right in each photograph). I had a look around and it seems to be a horse leech. Apparently they can survive on land and hunt for snails and worms - luckily not horses or humans!

4 comments:

  1. The other terrestrial thing that looks a bit like a leech is a Tipula (Daddy Long legs) larva, but yours is definitely a Horse Leech.
    Don't like them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the confirmation, Sophie. I was just glad it didn't try to eat my alive!

      Delete
  2. Don't like it one bit! Don't let my horse see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol luckily your horse doesn't have to worry about this little one!

      Delete

I really enjoy reading and replying to your comments, but please do not use this space for advertising!