02 December 2013

Cardoon - Cynara cardunculus



Date Photographed: 25 August 2013
Location: Yeovil
Resources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardoon
Notes: This is a really tall plant. The one photographed was at least 6 foot tall. I initially thought it was a knapweed of some sort, but the good folks at Wild About Britain gave me the correct identification.
ETA: I forgot to say that this garden was next to a field that enclosed a couple of horses. They were so interested in this plant that they were reaching over the fence to eat the flowers. My parents told me that they eventually knocked the fence over in their attempts to get more and more flower heads!

2 comments:

  1. It certainly does resemble knapweed. Great photos, I shall look out for those next summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that someone else agrees! Thanks Lou

      Delete

I really enjoy reading and replying to your comments, but please do not use this space for advertising!