08 August 2011

Barefoot: Part 2

So I thought I'd post a bit of an update to my previous post Barefoot, where I discuss Cody Lundin's antics on Dual Survivor and how he inspired me to give activities a go...barefoot!

I've been running barefoot on the treadmill and wandering the house and garden barefoot for a week or so now and I'm really enjoying it. Late last week I even put a bit of weight on my back while on the treadmill to help strengthen the foot and ankle as I develop the mechanics for moving this way.

I've been doing some more research on barefoot and the minimalist footwear that is available to protect the foot when out and about. In my previous post I mentioned the Vibram 5 fingers, which look good, but may not be to everyone's taste. So here's a different manufacturer that provides footwear that looks more like other everyday footwear:
http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens.html/?pg=2

I also noticed that they provide a link called 'Barefoot', which is dedicated to helping people learn about how to walk barefoot. They provide the following paragraph, which I found very beneficial:
"With 200,000 nerve endings, 33 major muscles, 28 bones, 19 ligaments; the human foot is a biomechanical masterpiece."

I want those muscle, bones, and ligaments to be as strong as possible to reduce my chance of injury and I feel that mixing barefoot and modern footwear training will be the best way to do that. So upon browsing for information on this site I came across their free 32 page PDF that discusse, among other things:
How to run / walk barefoot
The mechanics of running
Proprioception
Footwear that makes sense

This shows me that while my barefoot running is going well, I should also work on squats. It's definately worth a read.

Here's another link about barefoot:
http://physicalliving.com/the-definitive-guide-for-going-barefoot/Here's the link to the UK Barefoot Trail in Trantham:
http://www.trentham.co.uk/trentham-gardens/western-pleasure-ground/barefoot-walk

Have fun in barefoot...if you dare!

1 comment:

  1. Here's another good link about training to go barefoot:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-prepare-for-barefooting/

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading and replying to your comments, but please do not use this space for advertising!