07 May 2012

Black Oil Beetle - Meloe proscarabaeus

Date Photographed: 30/04/2012
Location: Cherhill Downs
Resources: http://www.arkive.org/oil-beetle/meloe-proscarabaeus/
Notes: I had no idea what type of beetle this was when I saw it. It's a very large beetle and I was quite in awe of it. After researching, I found that it was an oil beetle, but was unsure of which type. I had great assistance from Matt and Klaas from WAB. I have uploaded my sighting to Buglife for their survey as the remaining 4 oil beetles are under threat. If you see an oil beetle, then please see the Buglife website and let them know: http://www.buglife.org.uk/getinvolved/surveys/Oil+Beetle+Hunt

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I used to hold those in my hands and I just discovered they excrete a very poisonous chemical that causes blisters and pain. Either I'm very lucky and they did not excrete anything, or I'm resistant to Meloe defenses :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't like to encourage you to test the theory! Well done on holding them, I wouldn't have dared!

      Delete

I really enjoy reading and replying to your comments, but please do not use this space for advertising!