11 April 2012

Book Review: The Secret Garden

The secret garden was authored by Frances Hodgson Burnett and published in entirety in 1911. It was apparently not very popular in the author's lifetime, but that may be because it was ahead of its time.

I read this book a couple of years ago now, but find my thoughts coming back to Mary Lennox and especially Dickon. I like to think that while I'm more Mary, that there is a Dickon inside me, showing me the way to be with and of nature. As orphaned Mary followed the Robin and found the key to the secret garden, I like to think that I'm now finding my way into a secret world. A world of nature that not everyone sees. And I like to think that the Dickon inside me, happily surviving on a couple of lumps of bread a day, is leading the way to bring to life what has died, not just in the garden or nature, but inside of me. I like to think that he's showing me how to tread more lightly on this wonderful world, not just in terms of carbon footprint, but literally more lighty - as if to show to the birds that I'm no threat and come as a friend to join in with their lives rather than interrupt or destroy them.

Mary comes alive via Dickon in the secret garden. So much so, that she then brings to life her cousin, who has been sickly for most of his life. Trapped in his bed because his father, while still mourning for his wife, is terrified that Colin will have a hunchback like himself. The garden has a very real power not to only regenerate itself, but to regenerate the people within them. And that is why I'm not surprised at the eventual popularity of this book. And that is why this book inspires my love of nature.

The book is one of those books that you may have not considered reading, especially if you didn't as a child. But it's definitely a book that once read, won't let go - in a very good way.


I wrote this book review as part of a meme created by The Sage Butterfly for the Easth Day Reading Project. To take part write a blog post about a book that:
- inspired you to live or garden more sustainably - or -
- is one you would recommend to others for living or gardening more sustainably - or -
- inspires your love of nature.



For more information click the badge below:
TheSageButterfly
 
To get the book for as little as 49p on the Kindle, see the slideshow below:
 

Own or Loan:         Own
Read Again:          Yes
Recommend:         Yes
Overall out of Five:3

4 comments:

  1. I think all of us gardeners discover that side of us that is open to the garden and its wonders. And we share that with others. The Secret Garden is one of the most important garden books ever written. And yet, it is even more than that. It is about the magic of a garden, but it is also about the magic of people. You have illustrated all of those points in your brilliant post. Thank you for participating in The Earth Day Reading Project. I enjoyed reading about how this book has enhanced your gardening experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for commenting and thank you for inspiring me to write about it with your Earth Day Reading Project. I'm glad that you liked my post. Take care, Tim

      Delete
  2. Dear TJ, What a wonderful choice. Your post is beautifully written. And thanks for the info about purchasing the book for Kindle... Will do. P. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, thanks for your comments. I was a bit surprised that there wasn't a free version yet, but at 49p who can argue! I hope you enjoy reading it. Take care, Tim

      Delete

I really enjoy reading and replying to your comments, but please do not use this space for advertising!