06 March 2012

Frog Spawn or The telling of the elusive jelly

For most seeing frog spawn is a part of growing up, something that they don't even think about. They just see it and move on with their lives. As they grow up, they can sometimes be coerced into recalling that at some point in the past they witnessed a mass of jelly blobs that each encased a black dot and that this was frog spawn. With me this is not the case.

I remember seeing what I was told was frog spawn, but even at that young age I realised that the identification was incorrect. It was just a foamy substance created by a waterfall in the pond. I didn't voice my opinion as I didn't want to do a disservice to the person that was trying to help me with my interest of the natural world. I just went on with my life, having in the back of my mind that one day I would see this illusive stuff, this clump of eggs known as frog spawn.

Roll on what must be now 17 years and at the age of 27 I have finally seen my first lot of frog spawn. Don't ask what happened during the intervening 17 years, because I just don't know. Life, I guess, had other plans for me.

I'm truly glad that this error has been rectified, this gap in my experience and knowledge has been filled. I do know that I'm being rather dramatic about it, but such is my joy at visibly being able to watch the development of new life.

At The Courts garden in Holt where I saw the frog spawn, there were some clumps still under water, while other clumps had come to the surface to ensure that they could catch all of the available light to aid development. There was a clump of spawn on the grass nearby, we wondered if it was birds predating on it, but with such a large amount we think that perhaps the gardener may have pulled it out to give the remain spawn a good chance. I'm hoping to go back to the gardens and take some photos of the development of the frog spawn into tadpoles over the next few weeks.


Date Photographed: 05/03/2012
Location: The Courts garden, Holt
Resources: http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/wildlifegarden/atoz/c/commonfrog.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy reading and replying to your comments, but please do not use this space for advertising!