12 March 2012

Red Squirrel - Sciurus vulgaris

Date Photographed: 10/05/2008
Location: Brownsea Island, Poole


Date Photographed: 09/2007
Location: Brownsea Island, Poole
Resources: http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/redsquirrel
Red Squirrels, Tew and Benvie, 1997, 978-1-900455024-4
Notes: If you're in the UK and have experienced and encounter on our small Isles with a red squirrel, you will no doubt realise how magical it can be. I, myself, have been transfixed when I have seen the red squirrels on Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour and find it to be a struggled to stay still against the apparent gravitational pull of the squirrels making me inch forwards to 'get just a bit of a closer look' of these wonderful mammals. Once, when visiting family in the Netherlands, Lucy went out to the shops with my Auntie and saw a red squirrel. Very excitedly Lucy spoke to my Auntie about this, only to find that as with the species name 'vulgaris' the red squirrel is the common squirrel there. Let's hope that the gray doesn't come across from Germany and France and displace the red squirrel in the Netherlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy reading and replying to your comments, but please do not use this space for advertising!